Saturday, October 4, 2008

Extraordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cookies!

Thank my friend Erin for this recipe she got off the back of a Gold Medal flour bag! I halved the recipe and still ended up with 36 delicious cookies.

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
2 eggs
4 cups Gold Medal unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 bag (24 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350.

In large bowl, beat butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in chocolate chips.

On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by tablespoonfuls or #40 cookie/ice cream scoop 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly.

Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

A few notes from Erin:

*I used two sticks of salted and one of unsalted for the butter.
*I used dark brown sugar.
*I used Trader Joe's milk chocolate chips instead of semisweet.

A few notes from me:

*As I mentioned, I halved the recipe. A great idea if you don't have ravenous neighbors like Erin does. :)
*I used unsalted butter and Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips.

As always, ovens vary. The oven in my new house seems to need about one to two extra minutes to cook things (possibly because it's larger than my old apartment oven, but who knows). Fifteen minutes seemed about right for a perfectly baked cookie.

Cookie!

No comments: