Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Root Beer Brownies


I tried this recipe from Nicole Weston over at Baking Bites last Saturday after another lame shopping trip (will they ever make cute pants for short people??). Somehow brownies always soothe. And, with the addition of root beer, I figured I couldn’t go wrong. Once I sampled the brownies I realized I couldn’t taste much of the root beer (except when I was washing them down with leftover root beer from the Mug bottle), but it definitely added a certain something. These brownies are moist and dense and seem to get better the longer they sit around. Unfortunately, they're all gone now but I get a feeling I haven't seen the last of this recipe.

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
6-oz chopped bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate (1 cup)
3.5-oz chopped white chocolate (1/2 cup)
4 tbsp butter
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
8-oz root beer (no foam!)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375F. Line a 9-in square baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease.

In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside. (I don't use a sifter because I hate them. I put the ingredients in the food processor instead.)

In a small bowl, melt together chocolates and butter, stirring frequently until mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, beat together eggs and sugar until well combined. Blend in cooled chocolate mixture. Stir in half of the flour mixture, followed by half of the root beer. Stir in the rest of the flour mixture, the remaining root beer and the vanilla. Scrap down the sides of the bowl well and stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 26-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with only a few moist crumbs stuck to it. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

When brownies have cooled, wrap them up well and store them overnight before serving.

No comments: