Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread


I love pumpkin and banana bread, but I’d never considered combining the two into one very luscious bread. Then my friend Erin (hi E!) sent me this yummy recipe from Nestle Toll House’s All-Time Favorite Cookie and Baking Recipes cookbook and the rest, as they say, is history!

4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 (15-oz) can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar (either light or dark will work)
1 cup (about 2 medium) mashed very ripe bananas
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped walnuts

Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt in med. bowl. Combine pumpkin, eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, bananas and vegetable oil in large mixer bowl; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture; stir in nuts.

Spoon into two greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes 2 loaves.

Both Erin and I leave out the walnuts, but I think I might add them next time I make the recipe just to mix things up a bit.

No comments: